CORONAVIRUS UPDATE : 76-Year-Old Karnataka Man First To Die Of Coronavirus In India: Officials

India has recorded its first death from the novel coronavirus outbreak that has killed thousands across the world, government officials in Karnataka's Kalburgi district said late Thursday night.

CORONAVIRUS UPDATE : 76-Year-Old Karnataka Man First To Die Of Coronavirus In India: Officials
Representative image

India has recorded its first death from the novel coronavirus outbreak that has killed thousands across the world, government officials in Karnataka's Kalburgi district said late Thursday night.

The victim is a 76-year-old man who had returned from Saudi Arabia on February 29. He had been screened on arrival at Hyderabad airport but showed no symptoms at that time, officials added.

On March 5 he went to a private hospital in the district and was admitted the following day with asthma and hypertension. Hospital staff tested him for novel coronavirus, or COVID-19.

Three days later he was shifted to a hospital in Hyderabad. His family checked him out the same day and were taking him home when he died at around 10.30 pm.

It is unclear why the hospital allowed a possible coronavirus patient to leave their care.

Authorities have now placed his family members under surveillance and are monitoring them for COVID-19-related symptoms.

More than 70 confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection have been confirmed by the Union Health Ministry so far.

As part of its response to the outbreak, the government yesterday shut the country's borders to all existing visas - except diplomatic, official, UN/international organisations, employment and project - till April 15.

On Thursday evening the Delhi government said schools, colleges and cinema halls would remain shut till March 31. Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal's administration had shut primary schools earlier this month; secondary schools had been left open in view of exams.